This is the current article that describes the simplest way of installing FreeNAS on USB stick in Windows without burning installation CD first.
There is an old post about installing FreeNAS on USB stick which is availablehere but it is more complicated and I encourage you to use this one instead.
Here is how it works:
- Download 7-zip and install it. If you have another programinstalled that can work with compressed files you may want to use it instead of 7-zip.（下载7-zip，并安装。如果你有其它解压程序，你可能不需要使用7-zip，rar支持解压7zip格式。）
- Download Image Writer for Windows. Make sure to get the file that ends in binary.zip. I copied the file to C:\Temp and extracted the files intoC:\Temp\win32diskimager-binary.（下载Image Writer for Windows，保证下载的是二进制文件。拷贝到一个地方....。）
- Download the FreeNAS from SourceForge The latest stable version at the moment of writing is 8.0.4. I however decided to go with the 8.2 BETA 3 which is the latest available at the moment. You need the file ending in.img.xz（从sf上面下载最新稳定版本，写这篇文章时是8.0.4，然而我打算下载最新的版本8.2 BETA 3，选择文件后缀名位.img.gz下载。）
I downloaded the file and placed it in C:\Temp
- Open the file you downloaded in the previous step with 7-zip and extract its content:（使用7-zip或者其它程序解压下载的文件。）
It produced a file named FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA3-x64.img
- Write the .img file to your USB stick using theImage Writer:（通过Image Writer把.img文件写到u盘。）
Note: You need 2GB USB stick or bigger.（你需要2G或者更大的u盘）
That’s all. Reboot your computer and make sure the boot from USB is the first choice in the BIOS.
Here is the FreeNAS Documentation Project page that gives you additional information about how toinstall FreeNAS onUSB stick in Linux or OS X: